oy was conceived out of extensive research into how we can alleviate loneliness, and incorporates different qualities which aim to improve health and wellbeing. These include:
- A nature scene rich in plants and wildlife: Compared to man-made environments, studies have found exposure to natural landscapes may have direct, positive impacts on health, wellbeing and mood. Additionally, nature sounds, such as birds chirping, have been found to potentially help relieve feelings of stress and activate the parasympathetic nervous system — also known as the ‘rest and digest’ system.
- Storytelling around a campfire: Historically, campfires have provided a means of social connection, and interestingly, one study has indicated that viewing and listening to the sound of a fire decreased arterial blood pressure, suggesting a relaxation response. Research has also shown bibliotherapy — which is the use of books as a form of treatment — may also be effective in reducing anxiety.
- A sleepy dog: Interacting with friendly animals — such as cats and dogs — brings numerous health benefits, including reducing feelings of social isolation, improving depressive symptoms, and lowering heart rate and blood pressure.
- Removing individuals from their environment: Initiatives aiming to combat loneliness have indicated that it’s important to remove an individual from their current environment — be that their home or a hospital bed.
Credit: Project Lead, Programming, Sound Design, Technical Art
- Client Medibank
- Date December 3, 2016
- Tags Liminal Projects, Mobile, Seated VR, Unity